USA IRB Committees
An IRB review chart has been created for demonstrating what type of research submissions are assigned to the appropriate reviewing IRB committee. If you’re not sure where your study fits, please contact the IRB office first before you apply.
Click below on the IRB Calendar to review IRB committee submission deadlines and meeting dates.
IRB - Biomedical Research
Biomedical research refers to the study of specific diseases and conditions (mental or physical), including detection, cause, prophylaxis, treatment and rehabilitation of persons; the design of methods, drugs and devices used to diagnose, support and maintain the individual during and after treatment for specific diseases or conditions; and/or the scientific investigation required to understand the underlying life processes which affect disease and human well-being, including such areas as cellular and molecular bases of diseases, genetics, immunology. This research is typically quantitative and not qualitative. Biomedical research is often patient-oriented and the research involves:
- Studies of mechanisms of human disease
- Studies of therapies or interventions for disease
- Clinical trials
- Studies to develop new technology related to disease
IRB - Educational and Behavioral Research
Social-behavioral research refers broadly to research that deals with human attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors and is often characterized by data collection methods such as questionnaires, interviews, focus groups, direct or participant observation, and non-invasive physical measurements. The research may be qualitative or quantitative. Social-behavioral research also includes epidemiological or outcomes research and health services research:
- Epidemiological and behavioral studies: These types of studies examine the distribution of disease, the factors that affect health, and how people make health-related decisions.
- Outcomes and health services research: These studies seek to identify the most effective and most efficient interventions, treatments, and services.